WHAT IS INFLAMMATION?
Inflammation is a defence mechanism of the body against harmful stimuli.
Inflammation may be due to exposure to infectious agents (viruses, bacteria, fungi ..), chemical / toxic agents (poisons, mercury, toxins ...) or physical causes (radiation, trauma ...)
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF INFLAMMATION?
The main signs of inflammation are pain, heat, redness and swelling.
WHAT IS CHRONIC INFLAMMATION?
Chronic inflammation is a prolonged inflammation.
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF CHRONIC INFLAMMATION?
Chronic inflammation may lead to the development of cardiovascular diseases, type II diabetes, asthma, degenerative diseases etc ...
HOW TO REDUCE THE RISK OF DEVELOPING CHRONIC INFLAMMATION?
The latest scientific studies showed than a varied and balanced diet, regular physical activity and a better management of stress and sleep can contribute in the reduction of inflammation.
WHAT IS THE "ANTI-INFLAMMATORY" DIET?
The anti-inflammatory diet is based on a wide variety of foods. It is similar to the Mediterranean diet, also called the Cretan diet.
Following an anti-inflammatory diet is mainly about rediscovering the pleasure of eating fresh and seasonal foods.
It is highly recommended:
- to eat as much as possible foods from plants (fruit, vegetables, legumes, seeds, nuts ...)
- to reduce the consumption of refined/industrial foods (white flour, prepared meals ...)
- to lower the intake of red meat
- to increase the consumption of fishes such as sardines, anchovies and mackerels.
- and to include in your meals products rich in polyphenols: add colors to your meals! Polyphenols can be found in fruits & vegetables but also in green tea and spices.
Mullington JM, Simpson NS, Meier-Ewert HK, Haack M. Sleep loss and inflammation. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Oct;24(5):775-84.
Woods JA, Vieira VJ, Keylock KT. Exercise, inflammation, and innate immunity. Neurol Clin. 2006 Aug;24(3):585-99. Review.